March 7, 2010

Alice in Wonderland Quotes

At first, Alice in Wonderland quotes sound quite mundane. However, if you search them carefully for inner-meaning, you will find these quotes rich in truisms and life's great philosophies. Find your philosophical statement in these Alice in Wonderland quotes.

Alice
What is the use of a book, without pictures or conversations?

Rabbit
Oh my ears and whiskers, how late it's getting!

Alice
Curiouser and curiouser!

Alice
I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!

Eaglet
Speak English! I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and I don't believe you do either!

Alice
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

The Duchess
If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does.

Alice
If it had grown up, it would have made a dreadfully ugly child; but it makes rather a handsome pig, I think.

The Cat
We're all mad here.

The Hatter
Why is a raven like a writing desk?

The Hatter
Twinkle, twinkle, little bat! How I wonder what you're at.

The Queen
Off with her head!

The Duchess
Tut, tut, child! Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it.

The Duchess
Take care of the sense, and the sounds will take care of themselves.
The Mock Turtle
We called him Tortoise because he taught us.

The Mock Turtle
Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.

The Mock Turtle
Well, I never heard it before, but it sounds uncommon nonsense.

The King
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Alice
I don't believe there's an atom of meaning in it.

The Queen
Sentence first -- verdict afterwards.

Alice
You're nothing but a pack of cards!

Alice
But then, shall I never get any older than I am now? That'll be a comfort, one way -- never to be an old woman -- but then -- always to have lessons to learn!

Alice
A cat may look at a king. I've read that in some book, but I don't remember where.

Alice
I think I should understand that better, if I had it written down: but I can't quite follow it as you say it.

The Duchess
That's nothing to what I could say if I chose.

The Queen
Now, I give you fair warning, either you or your head must be off, and that in about half no time! Take your choice!

Alice
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Alice
It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.

Doorknob
Read the directions and directly you will be directed in the right direction.
Mad Hatter
No wonder you're late. Why, this watch is exactly two days slow.

Alice
Let me see: four times five is twelve, and four times six is thirteen, and four times seven is -- oh dear! I shall never get to twenty at that rate!

Alice
It was much pleasanter at home, when one wasn't always growing larger and smaller, and being ordered about by mice and rabbits.

Alice
Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin; but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever say in my life!

The Duchess
There's a large mustard-mine near here. And the moral of that is -- The more there is of mine, the less there is of yours.

The Mock Turtle
What is the use of repeating all that stuff, if you don't explain it as you go on? It's by far the most confusing thing I ever heard!

The Mock Turtle
Ah! Then yours wasn't a really good school. Now at ours they had at the end of the bill. French, music, and washing -- extra.

Alice
Oh, how I wish I could shut up like a telescope! I think I could, if I only knew how to begin.

No comments: